Switzerland Digital Nomad Visa – What are your options?

Switzerland is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe, and rightly so.

From quaint villages surrounded by the Alps to picturesque lakes, different types of ski slopes, ski resorts, and breathtaking hiking trails, the country is a magnet for digital nomads looking for a little different scenery than the usual tropical paradise. 

Besides that, Switzerland offers plenty of coworking spaces, almost everyone speaks English, the rail network is one of the best in Europe, and the quality of life is like none other.

The digital community in Switzerland is rising, despite the high cost of living and the fact that the country hasn’t introduced a digital nomad visa yet to ease the process.

Instead, all non-EU citizens who wish to make Switzerland their home away from home can apply for a Type-D visa.

How can a digital nomad stay and work in Switzerland?

If you want to settle for a nomadic life in Switzerland, you can apply for a short-term visa or a Type D visa.

The requirements needed for a digital nomad to enter, stay and work in the country are similar to other European countries’ digital nomad visa requirements:

  • You must work for a foreign employer
  • You can be a freelancer or own a business with activities outside of Switzerland 
  • You should solely work remotely
  • You should have sufficient funds for the duration of your stay in Switzerland

Short-term residence permit

Digital nomads who want to relocate to Switzerland can apply for a short-term residence permit or Schengen visa.

Holders of this visa are allowed to stay in the country for 90 days in a period of 180 days. 

This visa doesn’t apply to EU and EEA nationals, as they can travel within Schengen countries carrying only a valid travel document. 

To apply for a short-term residence visa (in addition to the above-mentioned requirements), you need to also meet the following requirements:

  • Proof of address where you’ll be staying
  • Health insurance for the duration of the stay 
  • Sufficient funds to support yourself during the stay (this can be proven with bank statements, credit/debit cards, or cash)

Type D Visa

The Type D visa or National visa applies to non-EU/EEA nationals who want to move to Switzerland to work, study, or be with family.

But it is also valid for foreign nationals who wish to stay in Switzerland and work remotely for a foreign employer.

The visa allows applicants to stay In Switzerland for more than 90 days within a 180-day period.

Final thoughts

You have to be financially prepared to live in Switzerland.

Despite the excellent quality of life, the high cost of living can be a major deterrent.

Living in Zurich, costs can exceed $5,300 a month, while living in the capital city of Bern will cost you a little less, up to $4,600 per month.

Also, keep in mind that if you stay in Switzerland for more than 30 days in a year or more than 90 days in a calendar year without any occupation, you become liable for taxation.