In Europe, many countries are already in the swing of welcoming digital nomads with digital nomad visas.
Almost 15 European countries like Croatia, Estonia, and Georgia, to name a few, have already tailored legislation to facilitate the special digital nomad visa in recent years to attract remote workers and digital nomads.
This temporary residency permit allows foreigners to live and work independently in the country for 6 months to 2 years, renewable for up to five years.
Sweden, a country like no other, has yet to launch the digital nomad visa.
What are the available visa for digital nomads in Sweden?
If you’re a digital nomad willing to relocate to Sweden, there are 3 visa options to consider:
Work Permit, Studying Visa, and Student Visa.
Among these, a work visa is a viable option for digital nomads.
This visa lets digital nomads work in the country for a limited period of time.
If you are a citizen of an EU or EEA country, you do not need a visa to work remotely from Sweden.
On the flip side, if you are a citizen of a non-EU/ non-EEA, non-Schengen country, you must apply for a tourist visa or work visa.
The Sweden tourist visa is valid for a duration of 3 months.
It is absolutely necessary to obtain a work visa for all foreigners who are not citizens of Sweden or the neighboring country.
Depending on the applicant’s country, they may be eligible for an EU Blue Card or Intra Corporate Transfer (ICT) Permit.
This permit is meant for highly skilled professionals.
What are the requirements for Work Visas in Sweden?
Applicants must meet certain requirements to obtain a work visa in Sweden. Below are the stipulated requirements for a Sweden work visa:
- The applicant must have a valid passport.
- The applicant must provide proof of monthly income of at least 13,000 SEK (approximately 1147.26 USD)
- A job offer/contract as per the Swedish collective agreements
- Proof of accommodation
- Employment offer with health insurance and life insurance
- Intention to return to home country after the completion of Employment Contract
How to apply for Sweden Work Visa?
Applicants can apply online or in person at the embassy or consulate-general.
Online application is a no-brainer and entails the following processes:
- Get a job offer from an employer in Sweden.
- Your employer will initiates the application for a work permit.
- You will receive an email for a work permit and apply accordingly. Submit the application with essential documents and pay the application fee of around $200.
- The last step is to wait for your visa approval. If your visa gets approved, you’ll receive a residence permit card valid for more than 90 days.
And for the second method— the embassy application—applicants need to follow these steps.
- Step 1: Book an appointment
Applicants must contact the embassy and book an appointment.
- Step 2: Fill out the application form and submit it
The second step is to fill out the application form with personal details, attach all relevant documents and submit it to a Swedish embassy or consulate-general.
- Step 3: Wait for approval
Lastly, wait for the approval of the visa. Applicants will receive the answer by email.
Please be informed that the processing time depends on the industry the applicants are working in.
The work permit is valid for a total of 2 years.
If you’re wondering about Residence Permit, here’s the deal: you can apply for a residence permit if you:
- Have been working in Sweden for 4 years, working for the same employer and in the same industry
- Can support yourself financially