With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, many people have been forced to work from home. Over the ensuing years, many countries embraced the new trend of launching digital nomad visas for international remote workers and digital nomads.
In 2020, Bermuda jumped on the new digital nomad visa bandwagon, making it one of the top destinations for digital nomads. Bermuda became the second Caribbean country to introduce a digital nomad visa, following Barbados’s 12 Month Barbados Welcome Stamp.
Until recently, working in Bermuda meant you have a valid work permit to work in a Bermuda-based company; you are a Bermudian or a Permanent Resident’s Certificate (PRC) holder. This scene changed on August 1, 2020, when Bermuda launched the “Work from Bermuda” residency certificate attracting digital nomads and expats of all nationalities to work remotely on the tropical island of Bermuda for up to a year.
This program also grants flexibility and freedom to any university-level students enrolled in an online university to study remotely from Bermuda. In other words, the Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa is a dream come true for digital nomads, students, and remote workers.
Digital nomads, remote workers, and students can live and work on the island with the new One Year Residential Certification program. Non-Bermudians who are at least 18 years old can apply for this work visa for a one-time application fee of $263. Anyone who is a remote worker, a student, or a business owner can swap their work-from-home setup for a sandy Bermuda beach.
The pink-sand beaches, aquamarine water, rich history, stunning caves, historical museums, and year-round pleasant weather make it a picture-perfect destination for travelers. The island of Bermuda is a melting pot of American and British culture with influences from Africa, Ireland, Jamaica, Scotland, and Portugal.
The pastel-colored houses adorned with bougainvillea, beachfront resort, amazing beaches dotted with dramatic reefs, grottos, museums, and art galleries are some of the major draws of this island in the North Atlantic and a British Overseas Territory.
Home to 181 islands, this British territory boasts some world-famous beaches, from Elbow Beach in Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay Beach in Southampton. So it wouldn’t be incorrect to say Bermuda is an ideal destination for anyone looking for a tropical escape.
So are you interested in applying for this coveted digital nomad visa of Bermuda? If you’re wondering how to apply for the Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa or dreaming of working remotely from the pink-sand beaches, this blog is for you.
Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa at a Glance
Where to Apply: Online
Length of Stay: 12 months from the date of approval
Processing Time: 5 working days
Visa Fee: $263
Tax: No local income tax
Who can Apply for Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa?
The Work from Bermuda Certificate invites remote working professionals, digital nomads, and online university students to study, work and live a beautiful life in Bermuda for 12 months. The applicant must be at least 18 years old, with a clean criminal record and valid health insurance. The applicant must be able to work independently of location using telecommunications technology.
The Work from Bermuda Certificate has no restriction on nationality, meaning any non-Bermudian can apply for this visa, with a facility to reapply for next year. Unlike other digital nomad visas, this visa interestingly targets college students enrolled in a foreign university.
Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa: Requirements
Foreign nationals can apply for the Bermuda Digital Nomad visa if they meet some eligibility criteria. Please ensure the following requirements before processing the application:
- Valid Passport. You must have a valid passport (for at least 12 months). Otherwise, you are deemed ineligible for the visa. In case your passport is invalid, you must renew your passport.
- At Least 18 Years Old. The applicant must be at least 18 years old to apply for the visa. Applicants under 18 years of age from the submission date are unqualified for this visa.
- Proof of Remote Work. You must present proof of remote work. This means you either have an active contract of employment in a company registered outside of Bermuda, own a business outside of Bermuda, or work as a freelancer for a company outside Bermuda.
- Letter of Enrollment. If you’re a student, you must provide evidence of school enrolment in an undergraduate, graduate, or doctorate program in a foreign country or a school acceptance letter. This requirement is for students who want to study remotely from Bermuda.
- Health Insurance. Traveling to and living in a foreign country for extended periods of time can be dangerous. Digital nomads, long-term travelers, and students alike may face unforeseen circumstances needing unexpected emergency medical services or even repatriation. Therefore the Bermuda government set this requirement; you must have a valid health insurance coverage document that covers health and travel while you live and work in Bermuda.
- Clean Criminal Record. Applicant convicted of any crimes or those who violate immigration law is inadmissible to Bermuda. You must have a clean criminal record to be eligible to enter Bermuda.
- Substantial Income. There is no minimum approximate annual income required to apply for the Bermuda digital nomad visa. Still, you must have a substantial means or continuous source of income to sustain your lifestyle for the duration of your stay in Bermuda. In case of traveling with family members, your income source must support them.
How To Apply For the Digital Nomad Visa For Bermuda?
The application process for the one-year residential certificate is a complete no-brainer. It is easy and straightforward compared to other countries that offer similar visas. The Bermuda visa requirements set by the government are simple.
You can easily apply for the Bermuda Certificate with the supporting documentation in a digital format. And to the point of surprise, it can be done in just a few minutes. The visa fee must be paid before applying. Once approved, the applicant can enter and exit the Atlantic island nation anytime for a year.
Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa: Documents Requirements
If you possess all the following documents in digital formats, you are eligible for work from Bermuda Certificate:
- Proof of employment for remote workers and digital nomads and evidence of school enrollment for university students.
- A color scan of your passport photo page
- A color scan of visa information.
Steps to Apply for the Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa
One of the perks of applying digital nomad visa for Bermuda is that the application process is pretty simple, easy, and straightforward. The entire process is online. As I said earlier, it takes a few minutes to complete the application submission.
Below is the step-by-step guide to applying for Bermuda’s one-year residential certificate.
Step 1: Collect the Documents
The first and foremost thing you must do is gather all the essential documents before filling out the application. Please ensure that all the documents are in English and digital formats.
Please double-check the following documents before applying:
- A color scan of your passport’s bio page.
- Proof of employment.
- A color scan of visa information.
Step 2: Submit Application
The second step is to submit the application. Go to this website to apply for the Bermuda one-year residential certificate. It takes a couple of minutes to fill out the application form, upload your documents and submit the application.
The applicant can apply for his family member as well. The applicant will need to submit the application separately and pay the associated fee for family members. It is important to submit all the applications on the same day.
Step 3: Pay the application fee
You must pay the fee of $263 before submitting the application. Compared to Barbados’s whopping $2000 entry fee, Bermuda’s fee is extremely affordable. But the downside is that the fee is non-refundable. In the case of a Barbados digital nomad visa, you need to pay the visa fee only after the visa approval.
Step 4: Wait for Approval
After going through steps 1, 2, and 3, please wait for 5 business days for the government to process and approve or reject your application. They will send you an official email confirming or denying your application for this specific visa.
Do remote workers need to pay tax in Bermuda?
International remote workers and digital nomads living in Bermuda with a 1-year residential certificate are not subject to income tax. The government of Bermuda introduced a digital nomad visa with tax exemptions.
Anyone with a one-year residential certificate does not have to pay income taxes or other taxes while working in Bermuda. Additionally, the visa holders get a $200 customs allowance per person per trip.
What is the cost of living in Bermuda as a digital nomad?
Did you know Bermuda is among the countries with the highest cost of living index?
In 2021, Bermuda was ranked as the world’s most expensive country to live in. While the Work from Bermuda Certificate fee is just $263, the cost of living per month can be ten times the fee. And this should clearly answer the question above.
Frankly speaking, Bermuda is not the cheapest country to live in on earth. The average cost of living in Bermuda is around $ 2000 per month for an individual and $7000 per month for a family.
Things to Consider when applying for the Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa
- Apply only when you are location-independent and working remotely.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old and non-Bermudian citizens.
- Applicants must not be convicted of any crime in and outside of Bermuda.
- Applicants must show proof of a steady source of income for a year.
- Check the visa requirements and ensure you meet them.
- Be mindful of the instruction while filling out the form. If you’re applying for your family members, use a new form for each member.
- Before you submit the application, pay the visa fee.
- Buy good health insurance that covers and safeguards your travel for up to a year.
- If the visa expires and you wish to stay longer, renew the visa by submitting a new application.
Frequently Asked Questions for Work about Bermuda Certificate
- Can we renew the Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa? Yes, the visa is renewable on a case-by-case basis and can be renewed with a new application. Please be informed that visa renewal is not guaranteed.
- How long will the application process take? The application process is fast, taking up to 5 business days.
- Can the visa holder go in and out of Bermuda? Yes, visa holders can go in and out of the country as they like.
- What are the income requirements for the work-from-Bermuda visa? There are no income requirements for the Bermuda digital nomad visa holders.
- What Are the Fees for The Bermuda Digital Nomad Visa? The only fee for the visa is an application fee which is a non-refundable fee of $263 per person.
- How long will it take to get the visa? It will take 5 business days; they will notify you via email.