If you are a digital nomad who wants to visit Mauritius, this article is for you. In order to obtain a visa that will allow you to stay in the country for up to six months, the process is rather straightforward. Here’s what you need to know:
Is there a digital nomad visa in Mauritius?
Mauritius has a visa program called “Premium Travel Visa” which can be seen as a digital nomad visa as it is meant to allow people from all around the world to come to Mauritius with a regular source of income coming from a foreign country.
It is in Mauritians interest to welcome retired people and digital nomads so they can spend their money in the country.
How long can you stay in Mauritius with their Premium Travel Visa?
The Premium Travel Visa will allow you to stay up to 12 months by default. There are options to renew your visa once in Mauritius if you wish to stay one more year.
It is important to note that you can enter Mauritius as a tourist with a 180 days visa, and apply for your Premium Travel Visa once there. This means that you could potentially extend your stay by 180 more days.
How much is the fee for the Mauritius digital nomad visa?
The Premium Travel Visa is free of charge.
How to apply for the Premium Travel Visa?
In order to obtain the digital nomad visa for Mauritius, you will need to book your flight, then apply on this website (it took me quite some time to find this official website as so many visa agents are advertising for this).
You will need to meet the below requirements:
- A proof of your long stay plans. This means a long-term hotel or any other accommodation booking.
- Sufficient travel and health insurance (covering Covid Insurance as well)
- Valid passport (if you plan to stay one year, make sure your passport will be valid for the whole year)
- A copy of your flight ticket (with the return one)
- A passport size photo
- An email address
- Proof of funds ( a minimum monthly transfer of USD 1500)
Once you proved that you are meeting all the requirements, you will receive your visa by email. It is that simple.
Other important information:
- With this visa, you won’t be allowed to work as an employee in Mauritius for Mauritian companies.
- Your source of business and your income need to come from another country
- If you change your plans, and change of accommodations, you will need to inform the immigration office
- This visa allows you to apply for an occupation permit to stay even longer
- It also allows you, under certain schemes, to buy a residential property
Covid-19 related information
- Vaccinated people can enter Mauritius (for now) with a negative PCR test.
- Unvaccinated people will have to go through a quarantine period of time (14 days) in addition to presenting a negative PCR test.
Please note that these rules are changing all the time, therefore, you should get the latest information from the official website here.
What about taxes?
If you spend more than 183 days or more in Mauritius, you would become a tax resident, and therefore would have to pay taxes. This only applies to Mauritian sources of income though.
Depending on the country you are from, it might be in your interest to pay taxes in Mauritius only.
US citizens will have to pay taxes in the US in addition to the taxes paid locally.
What visa most digital nomads will use?
The tourist visa allows you to stay up to 180 days. This is more than enough for most digital nomads, especially the ones that can’t stop moving from one place to another.
This visa is also free and is granted on arrival for US citizens.
I hope this article helped clarify a few points for you.